Sunday, September 9, 2018

Challenges & mixed media

While quiet on my blog, I've still been creating, here and there. I'm part of a lovely group of artists, via Facebook, and every month a reference photo is supplied, and everyone who wants to - can attempt their own interpretation.

I'd love to show you how amazing (and varied) the other artists' works are. However, it's a private Facebook group, so that's not possible. I can share the works I have completed, over the past few months though.


Monochrome sketch


July was the first month, I decided to participate. I didn't have much time to commit, so completed a quick pen-ink sketch, first. Thanks to my recent experiments with spirals and pen-ink, I was able to sketch quite loosely and without fear of making expected mistakes.


Colour


Then I wanted to play with colour a little more, and incorporated my Inktense pencils. I really enjoyed the exercise, because I truly love to sketch. However, I also realised sketching is ALL I had committed to doing artistically, lately. So for the next month of August, I decided to be a little more daring.


Mixed media


The reference image was of an old castle, nestled into the green hills of the countryside. It was quite beautiful, however, I wanted to do something different.

Now for some reason in my brain; brickwork, masonry and stones in general, remind me of newspaper print. So that's what I used, after putting down some acrylic paint. I also used charcoal and oil pastels, for a bit more definition, afterwards.

My mother actually saw it on the fridge, and asked if my 5 years old son had done it. Mostly, I guess, because I'm known for doing quite detailed work. I decided to take it as a compliment, because children have no inhibition when it comes to expressing themselves through art - and that's what I was attempting to do. I was trying to push myself into new territory, and you have to start somewhere.


 Mixed media


For this month, I decided to stick with the collage newsprint, with more brickwork involved. I actually ran a black and white filter, over the reference image, and it just confirmed, how much brickwork reminds me of newsprint! So I added some to the facing wall, in the ceiling and the 3 standing pillars.

Once again, acrylic paint was used for colour, and charcoal for adding details. I actually like this combination of mixed media. Because it encourages me to view the image in blocks (ie: newsprint) and in finer detail (paint and charcoal).

One of my goals for this year with my art, was to loosen up. While I know my work is still leaning towards the detailed side (something I'm trying to move away from) I can actually see through these monthly challenges, how much more variety I'm incorporating. The way I sketch has changed, I use more blocks of colour/collage, and even my painting has become a little more impressionistic.


Collage paper ~ not my work


I've so enjoyed doing mixed media, I intend to do a bit more. I have a collection of collage papers I can experiment with, but I also wouldn't mind making my own collage paper, from printing experiments. As that is another aspect of art, I wouldn't mind exploring.

To that end, I have reserved some books at the library to teach more about technique, more art supplies are on their way, and what better time than spring for new creations to emerge.

Happy creating in your neck of the woods, whatever season you're in.



6 comments:

  1. I have to say that I do like your style. The newsprint with the charcoal and paint worked out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive feedback Leigh. I really enjoy doing the mixed media. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the monochrome sketch. The spirals and squiggles work so well. Also love the castle with the newsprint....adding in unconventional materials makes for great interest.

    Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly is collage paper? How is it used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bev, thanks for your feedback. I've discovered it's easier to sketch in squiggles and curves, as you can easily hide your mistakes, lol. Collage paper is paper you set aside, either with an interesting pattern or texture. It's torn or cut, then incorporate into a picture with paste. I was using PVA glue, but I've ordered some matte medium, which is supposed to work better.

      Delete
    2. Thanks I thought it might be something like that. I used to like collage when we did it at school. I should try it again.

      Delete
    3. Yes, absolutely Bev, give it a try again. It's so much fun!

      Delete