Thursday, September 8, 2016

Day 6 mini challenge

The days are just flying past now. It's the second-last picture for the challenge, and it turned out to be something blue. Because it just felt like a blue kind of day. Of course, the only thing I could conceive that was blue, was a peacock!




I started with an acrylic wash, and went over it with oil pastels for finer details. I even used a bit of black pen. While it's certainly blue, I noticed something about it, which reminded me of the sunflowers I did on day four.

Both were taken from internet images, which I decided I wanted to find. Want a sunflower? Got it. Peacock? No problem. But they looked as stilted, as a photograph too. I've used internet images successfully during the challenge, but I didn't go looking for a building with archways - I just saw it and thought it looked interesting. So there was no bias when I changed it to look completely different.

Even my self-portrait was done on a whim. I took a selfie, feeling happy and carefree - so that's what transposed into my sketch. "Being" me, rather than simply making a visual image to look like me. What have I learned from this experience? I work better with concepts, rather than a definitive subject. If I start with a concept, its more likely to shape the final product, outside of the reference photograph. Rather than the photo defining the subject matter for me.

A very small detail, but I'm glad I discovered it.


2 comments:

  1. I like the peacock best....the little bits of fine penwork on the rear body contrast nicely with the plain blue of the breast. I like David's card 2nd best and your selfie next. The sunflowers were colourful.....wasn't so keen about the arches. Well done anyway. I haven't done any drawing for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing your preferences. The private facebook group, joining in with the challenge, liked the arches and the self-portrait I did, the most.

      It just goes to show, each person views the world in a unique way. Which is a good thing. :)

      Delete