Friday, February 16, 2018

Abstractify: in motion

Still in week four, and what I think, is the most useful of the course material. That's not to say, the rest wasn't useful - but what it imparted, broke through the "realism" tunnel-vision I had going. There is wanting to change, and then there is knowing how to.

Which is what some of the later exercises proved to address. It's all about capturing movement in your work. Which can be helped along with music and dancing, while you paint!




I was really surprised how effective this strategy was, at imparting "energy" into the brushwork. I even splattered my carpet with red paint, as I got into it, with my whole body. Sorry carpet!

The movement of my body, interrupted the thought process, so all I could capture, was the movement. I really enjoyed this exercise, and decided to call it, "collision". Because it looked like two bodies of energy, colliding with each other.




While I worked exclusively in landscape, I was surprised to see the dynamic remained, when the picture was placed in portrait position. This was a first for me though. Capturing, energy. I felt I was doomed to do everything "flat", before realising there were strategies to help.




I used splattered paint, credit cards to mix and move the paint around, as well as my fingers. So a variety of different marks were achieved. It may look a bit messy, and without reason - but I actually spent a lot of time, trying to create balance, so the marks wouldn't be too heavy in one area, or too sparse in others.

Over all, I was happy with this particular exercise, for providing a new strategy, in being more abstract. In fact, it was completely abstract!



11 comments:

  1. Now THAT one I like! Novel use for a credit card! I used to use a spatula a lot at school. Still have a couple in the art box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spatula's would be great for that. I think they have a special tool for that now, called a "catalyst tool". It can be all smooth sided, or you can get an edge with large teeth - similar to what a tiler would use, to spread grout. Speak of which, you can use them too! Oh the joys of playing with paint! :)

      Delete
  2. Forgot to say.....the only position you didn't show was landscape with the large orange area in the bottom right corner (I turned the computer on its side!). Orange area down there gives more stability with smaller orange area in top left for balance. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, at the computer! I did have a photo of the opposite landscape position. While I thought the orange colour symmetry, worked, the paint, dripping upwards, was a little off putting. At least for me. ;)

      Delete
  3. Mmmn, yes, you're right. Those white drippy streaks in the middle definitely have to be pointing downward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another thought/question. Have you ever tried marbeling? I did a lot years ago and enjoyed it. Have some of the efforts stored somewhere, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Sorry it took me a while to reply. I had a few hectic, back-to-back, days. :)

      Do you mean, where you take a marble and roll it around on a piece of paper? I'm going to be doing some experiments with a technique my mum showed me, involving ink, paint and a large marble. I hope I remember her instructions, correctly. ;)

      Delete
  5. Credit cards are wonderful tools! I can see the music in this one. And it looks like you had alot of fun. I think that if you do this again, try using much cooler contrasts....for example, the gorgeous orange with a deep blue. See what happens....( Look up “ push/pull theory” and Hans Hoffman if interested)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like orange and blue, as contrasts. They work well together. I used cobalt blue alot throughout the course however, so opted for something different this time. Which was fun! But I can see what you're talking about, in terms of pop factor, if blue were the prevailing colour. :)

      I'm working on a project for my mum again (a reprint of her book) so it's chewing up a bit of time, getting the front cover, just right. Otherwise, I'd be redoing the exercises again. I'll keep your suggestion in mind, when I return to experimenting.

      Delete
  6. Im glad you are still working. It need not be blue. Any cool color will recede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's really interesting. Because the warmth in that green, comes from the base colour - paint, I was going to use on my bathroom renovation. Only when I tried it on the walls, it looked too warm! So opted for a cooler green instead. I was looking for ways I could use that warm green up, in my art.

      Funny how you detected the warmth in the green! Especially since I mixed a lot of white, blue and yellow in there too.

      Delete